Friday, August 28, 2009

Chewy Cocoa Cookies with Chocolate Chips

Sorry for the recent lack of updates, I’ve just been very busy with work. I’ve still been baking and cooking, as has the Engineer. As a matter of fact, he just made his first deep dish pizza from Baking Illustrated, and it was excellent.



I also made chana masala from A Homemade Life - I think I was drawn to it because, for the first time, I could make an Indian recipe with exotic spices without first having to make a special trip to find them; I already had all of them on hand. Also, I love chick peas. I still need to perfect the recipe, though, because it didn’t quite look like I expected (or like the pictures on Orangette).



I’ll try to post some of the recipes I’ve accumulated. I might be a bit slow today, though, because it’s the Engineer’s birthday, so I’m making him a red velvet cake (I’ll see if I can post pictures, because I think this one will turn out like it was supposed to!).

Without further ado: Chewy Cocoa Cookies with Chocolate Chips, again from Orangette. This makes two dozen cookies (I am no longer making any more at a given time, unless they’re to be shared, because we shouldn’t have that many around the house ourselves.)

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
7 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.

Place the butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave briefly, until just melted. Add the sugars, and sift in the cocoa.



Stir to blend well. The mixture will be somewhat thick and pasty, like wet sand.



Add the yogurt and vanilla and stir to mix thoroughly. Add the dry flour mixture, and stir to just combine. Add the chocolate chips and stir to incorporate.



Drop the dough by generous tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet. Molly Wizenberg recommends that you use the tablespoon-size measuring spoon to scoop and shape the dough into little domes and rinse the spoon regularly to keep the dough from sticking, which worked wonders.



Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies have crackled slightly and look set. Transfer the sheet pan to a wire rack, and cool the cookies on the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer them to the rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

Marine said...

Miam, délicieux, merci Amélie!
Jeanne et Marine