Monday, December 14, 2009

Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and Almonds



I stumbled upon this recipe on a blog called Deliciously Gluten-Free. It is the second time I find a way to enjoy green beans (the first one being the roasted green beans). I changed the recipe just a tad to suit me taste, and it was a complete success. You can omit the almonds if you wish (I did the second time I ate the beans, just because I forgot), but they were a great addition. It’s pictured here served with roasted sausages with red grapes.

1 lb green beans, cut into inch-long pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 white onion, coarsely chopped
3 gloves garlic, minced
¼ cup slivered almonds

In a heavy pan or skillet, pour in olive oil, sugar, onion and garlic. Turn heat on to medium and sauté until onions are translucent and browned.



Add the greens beans and raise the temperature to high. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5-10 minutes.



Turn off heat and serve topped with almonds.

No comments: