Monday, December 06, 2010

I want real grenadine

Back in Montreal, I read this very informative article titled “How to make grenadine and why you should bother”. It basically said that most commercial grenadine – get this – doesn’t even contain pomegranate (sort of like how most candied fruit in North America is actually candied and coloured rutabaga). So I rushed over from the computer to the bottle of Château Thierry grenadine syrup in the fridge and looked at the ingredients, then cursed. By this point, the Engineer wanted to know what was going on, so I explained. You see, most commercial grenadine is actually high-fructose corn syrup. Our wasn’t much better: “liquid sugar, glucose, water, citric acid, artificial flavour, sodium benzoate, colour; contains traces of sulphites”. Where’s my pomegranate, people? I had decided to make my own grenadine once we had settled in, but I’m pernickety and I didn’t have the right bottle in which to put it. I’ve now decided to buy some good one online.

As long as we’re on the subject, I’d also like to share a link to natural Maraschino cherries, which I’d love to have in my pantry (as opposed to the bright red artificial ones, which I haven’t liked since I hit puberty).

No comments: