Friday, September 30, 2011

Dairy-free macaroni and cheese by Road's End Organics



I want to mention a product I tried recently, this dairy-free macaroni and “cheese” by Road’s End Organics. You see, there was a time when I would occasionally have a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese. It’s artificial as heck, but I liked it (and hey, if you throw in a can of tuna and some frozen peas, you’ve got your four basic food groups right there). I haven’t bought any in years, though, since I can’t have all that lactose. So this product seemed like a good substitute. It’s not as bright orange, but that’s to be expected in a product that is mostly natural. While it was good, it didn’t taste the same as the Kraft version. It probably wasn’t fair of me to compare the two, but I can’t help but feel like that’s what anyone would do if they had Kraft before. I also found that the box contained fewer servings – I don’t know if this is my memory playing tricks on me or not. All in all, I would probably buy it again and keep it in the pantry for one of those nights when I just don’t feel like cooking, but be warned that it’s not really a Kraft substitute! There are also gluten-free versions, and all of the products at the link are vegan.

No comments: