Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Lima Beans with Cumin Mint Dressing



I have no recollection of eating lima beans as a child. Yet, they still scared me, because they tend to be controversial, just like broccoli and Brussels sprouts (and you know my history with those). Well, it turns out that they don’t really taste like much. And that’s great, because you can make them taste like what you want! I love both cumin and fresh mint, so I loved this recipe. It’s really easy to throw together, too. I’m making it again this week, and perhaps I’ll use it as a side dish this Thanksgiving (the American one), as we’ll be hosting the Engineer’s mother this year. This recipe makes about 4 small servings.

½ lb shelled fresh lima beans (or frozen)
1 Tbsp plain lactose-free yogurt
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground (though I left mine whole)
1 small clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp chopped mint
salt, to taste
mint leaves for garnish (optional)

Have an ice bath ready. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the lima beans and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the lima beans to the bowl of ice water. (I’m lazy about ice baths, so I just ran cold water over the beans here instead.)

In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Drain the lima beans and pat dry. Add them to the bowl of dressing and toss.

Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with mint leaves before serving.


No comments: